Friday, July 29, 2005

Prayer and thoughts on Acts

(Originally written July 29, 2005 in Talks With God)

Acts is the next book I will read. Lord, teach me the wisdom and knowledge of Acts and help me to retain the wisdom you've given me through Isaiah, Daniel and Paul's letters. I love you Lord.

Acts 3:1-10

This is where Peter 'heals' the crippled beggar. I do not question your power or how you do miracles Lord, all I want to know is how to get a faith that strong? What must I do to have faith strong enough to have your healing power come out of my mouth? Lord, teach me, so that I am strong enough to do your work.

Acts 1-14

Lord, I realize that I must continually serve you. That is the only way I will become like Paul and thus be a great servant to you. Lord, I don't worship Paul, nor do I try to bring glory to him. It is not he who I strive to be like in all that I do. I want to be like Christ, I want to look at him in the face and thank him for all he had done for me. But as I see Paul, I see a role model to being a servant of Christ. OF all those who are worthy of your undying love, I am the least. I am a liar, a thief, a cheat, I speak with a crude tongue, I am a lover of money and a wicked, wicked man. But, I feel the Holy Spirit working in me. I feel you cutting away the sins in my life. I look back at the sins I have committed and wonder how can you want to save me. Only by your grace. You are so incredibly full of Grace, your eternal light I cannot even fathom. I love you with all my heart. Let all I do bring glory to you. Watch over me and keep me committed. I want nothing to do with what will bring you shame and dishonor. I want only what is good and pleasing to you.

I see through Acts 1-14 that being a Christian is not an easy road. Lord, as I am at Taylor and other places prepare me to stand up for all the trials I may face. As Jesus did his ministry on earth, the disciples got a 3 year, hands-on training on how to minister. Give me training, whether it is for 3 or 30 years, so that I can be effective for you. Give me strength enough, even in the face of death, to stand up and proclaim your ever living presence. You are Holy. You are Holy. I love you Lord. I can never say that enough.

Lord, two passages of the reading really moved me. I was full of tears because of your amazing power. You've shown me what true faith is.

Acts 3:1-10

When you healed that cripple through Peter my eyes welled up. I could hardly contain myself. I felt your presence as I never felt before. I do not need to see obvious miracles to know your power. I look around and simply see the trees and the water and the clouds and the dirt, and know. I know you have the power to make all of this out of nothing. This is sufficient for me. I should have that faith, a faith so strong I can move mountains. But, I don't. I'm sorry. I tell you today that I will stay faithful and ready and pray everyday until my faith is that strong and more.

Acts 9:36-43

When you raised Tabitha from the dead, Lord I could hardly read more. My eyes welled up and I shook because I knew you were and are the Lord God Almighty. May praise be to you forever and ever! But, Lord I cannot fathom your true power. I want to though, and I will serve you all the days of my life. Bless me if I am obedient, devour me if I am not. Hear my prayer oh King! I love you God.

Acts 15-28

As I have finished Acts, Lord let the wisdom that has been passed down to me sink in. Let the wisdom and grace you have given me be evident to all. You show me how to live in Acts. I must speak your word boldly and continually if I am to be a true servant of Christ. Lord, this is my plea! Help me to speak of you always and boldly. When I open my mouth let your words fill others' hearts and ears. I am nothing without you; use me as you see fit. Let them know that I serve and live for Christ Jesus. Let them know these things, not so that I may be praised, but so that your glory and praise will increase among men. Lord, I ask for much I know, but it is possible for you. I want these things for your glory and not my own. Strip me of pride if it swells. I only want to accomplish things to your account. I love you Lord. As I begin at Taylor I see many people who will be obstacles to my starting in ministry for you. Keep me encouraged and strengthened. Keep my eyes on you and keep this verse in my heart:

1 Timothy 4:12 "Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and purity"

No comments:

Post a Comment