Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sermon notes on Suffering

(Originally Written May 25, 2008 in the Journal)

Pastor Nace Lanier, Burke Community Church Sermon Notes

Devotion is the Christ-centered life (godliness).

God will give you more than you can handle.

Abstain from the passions of the flesh, which wage war against your soul (I Peter 2:11-12 paraphrase).

Submit in public life.

Christians have a responsibility beyond the church. We ought to work even with non-Christians toward moral goals.

Submit in private life.

Grin and bear your suffering, mindful of God. If you suffer while mindful of God it is great and powerful. If you suffer without being mindful of God, then it is worthless.

We suffer as Christians. Suffering is to be accepted and embraced.

"For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in His steps" (1 Peter 2:21).

God gives us more than we can handle so that we trust in Him alone.

Thank you Lord for this morning's service at Burke. How coincidental was the sermon subject would be suffering. Obviously, that is a bit sarcastic because with you there is no coincidence, all is ordered.

Lord I submit myself to you. I am your willing servant. I give you all that I have and all that I am. Remember me as you look upon this wreckage of a man. Lord show me how I may follow Christ's footsteps. Show me the continuing path to you. I will walk neither left nor right, but straight and narrow.

Be with my grandmother as she is suffering physical pain with a broken back. Lord heal her wounds and comfort her as she takes the last steps on her journey to you. Be with her in that hospital bed. Send down your angels to minister to her body and soul. I beseech you Lord and call on your good will to hear and answer this prayer.

Lord as always your will be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment