Friday, May 16, 2008

Brief Notes on Numbers 18-29

(Originally Written May 16, 2008 in the Journal)

A lot has happened in the last week and a half. She left me on Wednesday May 7th and today she put down her deposit to live in a coed house. Is it not enough to make me suffer the loss of my wife that I must writhe in pain and agony over her unfaithfulness? Why does the Lord hate me so? Why must He put me in such misery? Why do I face such trials and tribulations. I am merely a man. I am a weakling who is going to be crushed by this. Why have I been set upon a path to be destroyed? What sins have I committed to bring so much shame and hurt upon my head? Where is the mercy of the Almighty? Why have you looked upon me with scorn? I am wicked and growing ever more wicked. There is hate and malice in my very breath. This is why the Lord has struck me down. My pride and arrogance are decimated. The glory of the Lord has reduced me to ashes. May He now, if it is His will, resurrect me from this death. It is in your power Lord, if it is in your will.

The Lord is great and good in His dealings with me. He is fair and just. Though I now walk through such pain and strife I know that He has not abandoned me. Draw me closer to your love my sweet God so that I can begin to heal. Restore my faith and my heart for I am weak and faint. Fear has gripped my heart and soul and I long to be free of it. The Lord is my shepherd and I shall not want. Thank you Lord for your tests. May it strengthen my resolve for you. May you be praised for your very Being. You alone are worthy of my praise. Teach me patience and trust here, for I am in failing health and spirit. My mind betrays me and my heart stops. I have sunk beneath all else. I am the lowest of the lows. Restore me to you Lord. I will trust your unfailing judgment in all matters. Amen.

I hurt so bad Lord. Give me some comfort.

Numbers 18 - The priesthood is given to Aaron and his descendants as a gift.
Tithing - only the best portion is acceptable.

Numbers 19 -
The cleansing of the unclean men and women.
The importance of days number three and seven.

Numbers 20
Moses sinned by not trusting God and struck the rock twice.
Aaron passed away and the priesthood went to his son Eleazar.

Numbers 21 -
The Lord led the Israelites to victory over the King of Arad.
The Israelites complained against God and the Lord sent serpents to kill them. They repented and the Lord showed mercy.
What is the Book of the Wars of the Lord?
The Lord led the Israelites into victory over King Sihon and the Amorites.
The Israelites settled in the lands of the Amorites and then captured Jazer.

Numbers 22
Balak, the king of Moab sought out Balaam who feared the Lord. Balak wanted Balaam to curse the Israelites. The Lord told Balaam to go, but to do only as He said. The ass Balaam was riding saw the angel of the Lord and turned back three times and spoke to Balaam.

Numbers 23
Balaam blessed Israel to Balak's consternation.

Numbers 24
Balaam gave the oracle that no descendants of Ishmael shall survive.

Numbers 25
Some Israelites worshiped Baal of Shittim and were executed before the Lord. 24,000 died that day.
The Lord told Israel to crush the Midianites for bringing Baal worship to them.

Numbers 26
Another census of the 20 year old males and older is taken.

From Reuben came the Hanochites, the Pallvites, the Hezronites and the Carmites: 43,730 men.
From Simeon came the Nemuelites, the Jaminites, the Jachinites, the Soharites and the Shaulites: 22,200 men.
From Gad came the Zephonites, Haggites, Shunites, Oznites, the Erites, the Arodites, and the Arelites: 40,500 men.
From Judah came the Shelahites, the Perezites, the Hezronites, the Hamulites: 76,500 men.
From Issachar came the Tolaites, the Puvahites, the Jashubites, the Shimuonites: 64,300 men.
From Zebulun came the Seredites, the Elonites, the Jahleelites: 60,500 men.
From Joseph came the Manassehites, the Machirites, the Gileadites, the Abiezrites, the Helekites, the Asrielites, the Shechemites, the Shemidaites, the Hepherites: 52,700 men.
From Ephraim came the Shuthelahites, the Bechrites, the Tahanites, the Eranites: 32,500 men.
From Dan came the Shuhamites: 64,400 men.
From Asher came the Imnites, Ishvites, Benites, Heberites, Malchielites: 53,400 men.
From Naphtali came the Jahzeelites, Gurites, Jezerites, Shillemites: 45,500 men.

601,730 men were registered.

The Levites were the Gershonites, Kohathites, Merarites, Libnites, Hebronites, Mahlites, Mushites, Korahites: 23,300 men.

Only Joshua and Caleb were counted in both censuses.

Numbers 27 - The Lord showed Moses the Promised Land though he could not enter. He then told Moses to anoint Joshua as his successor.

Numbers 28 & 29

Offerings and festivals.

Thank you for this day. I always feel so much better after reading your Word. You are my strength and solace. May my lips never stop praising your Holy name.

No comments:

Post a Comment