Friday, May 30, 2008

Brief Notes on Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell

(Originally Written May 30, 2008 in the Journal)

So I purchased Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell to give to her for her birthday am reading it first. In part two he talks about the Bible. He states, "We have to embrace the Bible as the wild, uncensored, passionate account of people experiencing the living God. Doubting the one true God. Wrestling with, arguing with, getting angry with, reconciling with, loving, worshipping, thanking, following the one who gives us everything". That is an amazing description of the Bible.

He talks about how the Bible is open-ended. It is truth, but leads to more questions than answers. The truth leads to ... more truth. We limp in life because we wrestle with God. To wrestle with God is to experience Him. God is always present. We are the ones who need to show up.

Ancient rabbis taught that God first separated the light from the darkness and the rest of Scriptures is God teaching man to separate the light from darkness, the wrong from the right.

No amount of success can heal a person's soul, it makes it worse.

How do I kill this super-husband ego? How do I get back to being the fundamental, plain old Chris? What am I capable of that God has chosen me? I am being remade. How do I bring Heaven here?

Lord show me the path; show me the way. Heal my soul and teach me to serve. Teach me to sacrifice. Let the old die and the new find life in me. I take this suffering and thank you for it. Have mercy on me Lord for I am weak. Show me to be all that you have in store for me. Help me to achieve the goals you have for me. Teach me to be a man of God. Show me the narrow path and I will follow it, straying neither to the left nor the right.

Lord restore her to her self. Restore her to her potential. Do not turn her over to sin or abandon her in her time of need. Stretch out your hand and heal her. Soothe her anger and rage. Soften her heart to you and to me. Do not bring ruin upon this marriage. Do not bring destruction upon us. If I have found favor with the Lord may He bless me with a renewed wife and a restored marriage.

Lord walk me through this hard time. Be gentle with me as I am frail. My flesh is weak and my soul is bruised. Bring peace to me so I may spread the good news. Lord, teach me with your Word. Hear my prayers and do not abandon me.

No comments:

Post a Comment