Friday, May 30, 2008

Brief Notes on I Kings 1-8

(Originally Written May 30, 2008 in the Journal)

Notes on I Kings

Chapter 1

David was old and his son Adonijah was rallying to be king, but Zadok the priest, Nathan the prophet, and the army did not support him. David announced however that Solomon would be king because he had sworn an oath to make Bathsheba's offspring the king. Adonijah fled in terror, but King Solomon spared him.

Chapter 2

David instructed Solomon in his last words. David died and had reigned 40 years over Israel. Solomon had his brother Adonijah put to death because he asked for one of David's concubines. Solomon then deposed Abiathar the priest for siding with Adonijah, thus fulfilling the prophecy that the house of Eli wo8uld be removed from the priesthood for the wickedness of Eli's sons and Eli's reluctance to admonish them.

Solomon then had Abner killed for the murder of the generals of Israel and Judah. David had promised Abner he would not be punished while he was still alive, but Solomon fulfilled the avengement of innocent blood. Solomon then told Shimei that he must stay in Jerusalem for cursing David. When Shimei left he was put to death.

Chapter 3

Solomon married the daughter of Pharaoh to ally himself with Egypt.

The Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream and granted him a request. Solomon asked for an understanding heart to distinguish right from wrong. The Lord gave it to him and also riches and glory and said he would give him long life as well, if Solomon obeyed the Lord.

Two women came before the king arguing over a live child and a dead child. Both said the live one was theirs. Solomon proposed to have the child cut in two and give half to each. The child's real mother begged Solomon to give the child to the other woman to spare its life, but Solomon gave it to her because he knew she was the mother.

Chapter 4

Solomon split the nation into 12 parts for administrative purposes.

Chapter 5

Solomon grew famous and men from all over came to hear him speak. Solomon had lumber imported from Lebanon to build the Temple of the Lord.

Chapter 6

Solomon built the temple and filled it with gold. It took seven years to build the temple.

Chapter 7

It took 13 years to build Solomon's palace. Solomon had the temple's interior decked out in bronze and gold. He also brought in items David had collected for it.

Chapter 8

The temple was consecrated and the ark was brought in. The Lord came to the Temple. Solomon then prayed.

Lord, I ask you to do as Solomon asked. Lord, I have sinned and turned away from you. But I come now before you humble and contrite. I am broken and praise your name for that brokenness. Lord grant my prayer. Do not turn away from me. Save my marriage. Restore my wife to me. I will praise your name forever and forever regardless, but do not let this pain rest permanently on my heart. Do not shame me so severely. Look on me with kindness and restore her to me. Lord I ask for so much and offer so little. I offer you all I have though. Please, I beg of you, answer this prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment