Monday, June 2, 2008

Notes on Polycarp

(Originally Written June 2, 2008 in the Journal)

Polycarp was the bishop of Smyrna, appointed there by the apostle, St. John.

Polycarp's Epistle to the Philippians

He warns the Philippians against the vapid discourses of the vulgar (heresies and the philosophies of the pagans).

A man's mind should always be bent on faith, hope and love of God and Christ, and love of neighbor.

He warns that troubles stem from the love of money. He warns against loose living.

"If we pray to the Lord to forgive us, we ourselves must be forgiving" (Early Christian Writings, 121).

We must not associate with hypocritical Christians.

We must imitate the patience of Christ and if we must suffer than we ought to give glory to God for it.

Keep yourself from even the slightest taint of wrong.

What am I to say Lord? I have been made a fool, a disgrace, There is no love or respect. I am chastised for every action, for every word. The Lord has called me to love a woman who despises me. Turn your eyes upon me in mercy. Lord, my heart is failing. I have no joy in me. Why do you so easily take what I hold most dear? Lord I give it to you willingly, though I choke back these tears. My soul is in utter anguish and my heart aches with such tenacity I know not how to describe it. I see the world mocking me and jeering. There is no comfort, no solace. Even bone of my bone, flesh of my flesh is of no comfort. She causes me such strife and pain.

Where are you Lord? I call out in utter despair and do not hear your voice. I do not feel your warm embrace. My eyes well with tears and stream down my face. I am no man, I am but a lost child. When will you raise me up? How long oh Lord must I suffer? Will you allow the enemy to tear me apart? If so then give me the strength to endure in your Holy name. Make my misery and down fall so public that the whole world will know it that I may be a testimony to you. Lord how do I thank you for this? How do I praise your name when you bring ruin upon me? I offer not lip service, but genuine faith. Praise be to the Lord for He is good. Though we may be afflicted and suffer cruel injustice, we are redeemed by the blood of Christ. None of us Lord is perfect, all deserve a sinner's death. Yet, you in Christ Jesus our Lord and savior made us blameless in your sight. The Lord is truly faithful. Though all mankind forsake me, I will rejoice gladly for the Lord shall never leave me.

She is leaving today Lord. Watch over her and draw her back to you. Do not let her fall into temptations. Do not afflict me any more. Love her as you do and show her mercy and kindness. Circumcise her heart and mind and ears. May she come to see you as I do and better, for I am but beginning to see you. Bless her in all she does and if it is your will restore her to me, for I love her dearly.

The Martyrdom of Polycarp

A young man named Germanicus was martyred at the hands of beasts. He was offered out of this death on account of his youth, but dragged the beast nearer to him to speed to God.

Quintus of Phrygia went voluntarily to the slaughter, but lost heart at the sight of the animals. He recanted and offered incense to the false gods of the Romans. For this reason, and for the fact that it is contrary to the gospel, men ought not offer themselves up spontaneously.

When the men caught Polycarp they were surprised that the death of such an old man was such urgent business. The governor asked Polycarp to renounce Christ, or even just utter "down with the infidels" to be free of punishment. But, Polycarp swept his hand at the heathen crowd and uttered "down with the infidels". The governor then threatened Polycarp with beasts and Polycarp called them up. He threatened Polycarp with fire and still Polycarp showed no fear. He was 86 years old at this time. Polycarp then prayed to God as he was attached to the pyre. The fire was lit, but would not burn high enough to kill Polycarp. Polycarp was then stabbed to death. The blood of Polycarp poured out of his body and put the flames out and the crowd was amazed.

No comments:

Post a Comment