Friday, June 6, 2008

Brief Notes on 1 Chronicles 22-29

(Originally written June 6, 2008 in the Journal)

Oh Lord how long? How long oh Lord must I suffer in anguish and torment? There is an anger and a rage in me that I have never known. Bitterness is knocking at the door of my heart. Where is the joy of righteousness? Where is that easy yoke? May bless me as you blessed Jabez. Jabez prayed, oh that you may truly bless me and extend my boundaries. Help me and make me free of misfortune, without pain". If only you would grant me this prayer oh Lord!

Augustine states that a good man is neither exalted by the goods of this world nor overwhelmed by its ills. My ills are temporal - it is true. And the joy of the Lord, which is eternally written on my heart overshadows these temporary struggles by far, but, my Lord can you not see the immense pain this separation is causing me? Lord see my tears of sorrow and grief and have pity on me. But know that my heart and hope rest with you. You are my rock and shield. You are my strength when I have none and my strength when I feel gallant. May not a day or an hour pass by when my mind does not think on you. Lord teach me to be this good man of Augustine, but grant pity on me in my temporal sufferings. If it is your will reunite us. Do not destroy her, but open her heart to you. May you draw her close to you in love and grace. Lord, if you will, restore us. But, come what may I will serve you in all that I do, until I breathe my last. Teach me in your word.

Notes on I Chronicles

Chapter 22

David gathered materials so that his son Solomon could build the Temple of the Lord.

David could not build the temple because he had shed much blood. Solomon would be a peaceful man for the Lord and he would build the temple. The Hebrew name for Solomon is Shelomo, which is a play on the Hebrew word for peace, Shalom.

Chapter 23 - The Classes of the Levites

Chapter 24 - The classes of priests, who were the sons of Aaron

Chapter 25 - The musicians of the Lord

Chapter 27 -

The gatekeepers, treasurers and magistrates of the Lord

The divisions of the army.

I find it interesting that there are 12 tribes of Israel and 12 months, 12 lunar cycles. Of course one could say that the cult of Israel established 12 tribes because there are 12 months, but how much easier could we say that the Lord, in His divine plan ordained 12 months to correspond to the coming of the twelve tribes (and then the 12 disciples of Jesus Christ)? All things must be considered as to God and His plan and with God there is only purpose, not coincidence.

The 12 heads of the tribes

The overseers of Israel

David's court

Chapter 28

Serve God with a perfect heart and a willing soul, "for the Lord searches all hearts and understands all the mind's thoughts. If you seek Him, He will let Himself be found by you; but if you abandon Him, He will cast you off forever" (1 Chronicles 28:9, New American Bible).

No comments:

Post a Comment