Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Brief Notes on The Didache

(Originally Written June 3, 2008 in the Journal)

The Didache seems to have been written in the mid first century A.D. Its origins may be either Egyptian or Syrian.

The Didache

There are two ways: the way of Life and the way of Death.

The Way of life is this: love the Lord your God, love your neighbor as yourself and do unto others as you wish to have done to you.

If you love those who hate you, you will have no enemy.

Do not be equivocating in speech or thought.

Be not hypocritical, spiteful or show superiority.

Be wary of blasphemy.

"Accept as good whatever experience comes your way, in the knowledge that nothing can happen without God" (Early Christian Writings, 192).

Never claim anything as your own.

The Way of Death is evil. The Way of Death abhors truth and loves falsehood. You must flee from the Way of Death.

Wednesdays and Fridays are days of fasting.

Say the Lord's prayer three times a day.

Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, in Heaven and Earth. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive our trespassers. Lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil, for thine is the power and glory forever and ever. Amen.

In everything you do, be guided by what you read in the Gospel of the Lord.

May the Lord forgive me of my sins. May He instruct me in His ways so that I may follow Him in all of my doings. Lord look upon me in mercy and pity. Restore me to you. Make me whole again. I feel so empty, so lost. I have lost the one I love. Lord I offer you this relationship as a sacrifice if that is what you require. If it is not then I beg of you to return her to me. Watch over her and comfort her. Draw her close to you. Do not feed her to the wolves or let harm befall her.

Lord grant me wisdom from the Book. Do not allow me to substitute anything for it, but keep me in your Word daily so that I can follow your path, neither saying to the left nor the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment