Thursday, June 5, 2008

Brief Notes on I Chronices 1-21

(Originally Written June 5, 2008 in the Journal)

Lord I am so feeble and weak. My soul is in anguish. My temper flares and I hurt from longing. Why has she forsaken me? Why would you cause this to happen? What must I learn from you? Do I not trust you? Do I not bless your name? Where is the easy yoke? Lord may your will be done and may the whole world come to see that you are just and good. Lord I struggle, but I thank you for the struggle. For if I die, I will be with you and if I live I will be even stronger in you for it. May you restore my wife to me or otherwise show me your plan for me. You have my heart, my soul, my mind, my all. 'Tis a small offering I know, but what I have is yours. Comfort me in the readings today. Do not look on me in anger or disgust, but deliver me from my anguish. Thank you Lord for all you have done. May the whole world praise you ceaselessly. May every tongue sound of the Holiness of the one true God. Thank you for your love and care.

Notes on I Chronicles

Chapter 1 - Genealogy from Adam to the Edomites

Chapter 2 - Genealogy of the sons of Israel, that is Jacob

Chapter 3 - The line of David

Chapter 4 -

The sons of Judah

Jabez prayed to the Lord, "oh that you may truly bless me and extend my boundaries! Help me and make me free of misfortune, without pain!" The Lord answered his prayer.

The sons of Simeon

The sons of Reuben

Reuben, though firstborn, lost his birthright to Joseph. The king came from Judah because Judah was powerful.

The sons of Gad.

The sons of East Manasseh.

These men angered God by idolatry and were deported to Assyria.

The sons of Levi

Chapter 6 - The descendants of Aaron

Chapter 7

The sons of Issachar
The sons of Benjamin
The sons of Dan, Naphtali and Manasseh
The sons of Ephraim
The sons of Asher

Chapter 8 - The sons of Benjamin

Chapter 9 -

Judah had been carried away into Babylon as exiles.
Jerusalem still had some Israelites in it from Judah, Benjamin, Ephraim and Manasseh and also some Levites dwelled in Jerusalem.

The Genealogy of Saul

Chapter 10

Saul and his three sons were killed in battle by the Philistines because Saul rebelled against the Lord.

Chapter 11

David was made king of Israel.
David conquered Jerusalem.

Chapter 12 - David gathered many warriors around him

Chapter 13 - David brought the Ark to Jerusalem

Chapter 14 -

David settled in Jerusalem, took wives and had sons.
David conquered the Philistines who attacked him. The Lord made all nations fear David.

Chapter 15 -

David danced in the streets and his wife Michal, daughter of Saul, despised him for it.

Chapter 16

"Glory in his holy name; rejoice, o hearts that seek the Lord" (I Chronicles 16:10, New American Bible).

"Sing to the Lord, all the earth, announce his salvation, day after day" (I Chronicles 16:23, New American Bible).

Chapter 17

Nathan had a vision that David's son would build the temple of the Lord and David rejoiced at this.

Chapter 18

David subdued the Philistines and the Moabites. He defeated the king of Zobah and the Arameans.

Chapter 19

David defeated the Ammonites for shaming ambassadors he sent them. David then crushed the Arameans for aid the Ammonites.

Chapter 20

David went to battle with the Philistines again and the Israelites defeated three giants that were sons of the Rephaim.

Chapter 21

David then sinned and took a census of Israel. David was given three choices of punishment and chose pestilence. 70,000 men died on account of David's sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment