Sunday, June 1, 2008

Brief Notes on Clement of Rome (B)

(Originally Written June 1, 2008 in the Journal)

Why do I turn my back on you Lord? Why do I fall so easily to temptation? I am dedicated. I give my all, but I fall so easily to the temptations. Lord forgive me for my weakness. I do not know what to do. I give this to you. Teach me to be chaste and strong in you. I disgust myself we these ways. Lord forgive this wicked sinner and cleanse him from his vile nature.

Notes on Early Christian Writings

I Clement (continued)

Clement admonishes the Corinthians for removing the bishops and deacons of their church because they were appointed by the apostles or other wise men who were appointed by Christ who was appointed by God. Thus, all those appointed were appointed by God.

He says to them it was wrong to persecute righteous men because in the Scriptures, only the wicked persecute the righteous.

He admonishes them for quarreling and extols them to become united again.

We must seek to better the community of Christ before we better ourselves and if we come to be looked upon in high esteem we must be ever the more humble.

Without love, Christianity is impossible. The perfection of love is beyond words. Let us pray to be found faultless in love.

Let us pray for those who have fallen from grace that they may be given unselfishness to submit to the Lord.

Remind them that "happy is the man the Lord reproves...for though he inflicts pain, yet afterwards he makes whole again" (Early Christian Writings, 46).

We find mercy through his holy correction.

Make us clean oh Lord with the cleansing of thy truth.

Jesus Christ is the High Priest and the Guardian of our souls.

"It is a moral duty for us to bow the head and take our seat on the stool of submission" (Early Christian Writings, 49).

No comments:

Post a Comment