Thursday, September 24, 2015

Shame and God

Shame is a topic that's not fun to deal with or even discuss. It's such a strong feeling, emotion and state of being. It's nice to know that as a Christian, I shouldn't have to deal with it. It's comforting. It's full of hope. It's full of whatever the opposite of shame is. God gave me a good reminder of this in Psalm 25:3.

"No one whose hope is in you will ever be put to shame, but they will be put to shame who are treacherous without excuse".

There is a promise of God. No one who hopes in Him will ever be put to shame. There is also a consequence noted from God. Whoever is treacherous without excuse will be put to shame. The word "treacherous" seems so harsh and on such a deep level. Whenever I think about the word I think of a backstabbing politician or general. I think of Benedict Arnold or of Tostig Godwinson coming to attack the English with the viking warlord Harald Hardrada. So initially, I glanced over the second part of the verse. But, something was gnawing at me so I just started with the simple act of looking up the definition of the word. I didn't need to consult a commentary or Strong's. As soon as I saw the Webster definition I knew what God was saying to me at this moment.

Treacherous is simply defined as being 'guilty of or involving betrayal or deception'. I wouldn't say that I'm often up for betraying someone. Even in my many rebellions against God these have been on account of selfishness, foolishness, being short-sighted or willfulness in wanting to do things my way. But, that word 'deceptive' struck at me. I tend to exaggerate or to omit bits of information to shape the conversation. It's one of my worst qualities. It might be admirable in certain aspects of the world, but I know in my heart of hearts it isn't right. I also understand where some of the being put to shame for treachery comes from.  So hear my prayer Lord, may I not be deceitful in my speech. Instead fill me with your truth so that I speak only in that way. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment