Thursday, September 24, 2015

God hates with a passion?

So in my reading I came across another difficult verse in Psalms 11.

Psalms 11:5-6

"The Lord examines the righteous, but the wicked and those who love violence his soul hates. On the wicked he will rain fiery coals and burning sulfur; a scorching wind will be their lot".

Not exactly the image of a loving God I seemed to get in Sunday School, is it? Again, we could probably easily explain it away in a flawed author (man) projecting his idea of what should happen, but I am still uncomfortable with that idea of explaining away the Bible. Contextually, it seems to highlight some of God's seemingly contradictory nature. On the one hand He is the refuge for the upright heart and on the other hand He is the judge of the wicked and doles out punishment. Verse 7 sort of resolves the issue though on what this nature of God is. He is a judge. "For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face".

What seems contradictory is actually pretty easy to sum up by analogy. God is like a judge. On the righteous he passes forgiveness and protection. On the wicked he doles out punishment deservedly. Of course as I've started looking at what I've called the 'Difficult Verses', I'm starting to realize that most of these are difficult if they are taken out of context, but put into context with the whole of Scriptures the difficulty washes away. But, I'm sure that some won't see it that way. I guess in some sense, faith protects me from these difficulties.

No comments:

Post a Comment