Thursday, September 24, 2015

Apart from you I have no good thing

Every once and awhile I get a good shock from God. Sometimes I get a strong conviction. Sometimes I get a little jab to get me to do something. And sometimes I get a stark, but gentle reminder of who God is in my life. Psalm 16:2 was a combination of all three.

"I say to the Lord, 'You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing'".

At first glance I was humbled by this short little passage. How true is it that I have nothing good apart from what God gives me? He has blessed me so much and given me so many good things. He's given me a beautiful, godly wife. He has given me a loving and godly family. He has given me a loving and godly in-law family. He has given me a good house. He has given me a good job. He has given me the ability to see so many parts of the world. He has given me all kinds of security. This verse was a reminder of all the things He has blessed me with.

But, then I reread the verse over and over again. Conviction. Jab. I had to look at the first part of that verse again. I say to the Lord. Unfortunately, I do not say to the Lord enough. Conviction. Jab. So here I proclaim, You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment