Thursday, February 5, 2015

What does the one God Seek?

In continuing my study on what Godliness is I've started with a concordance and gone to where the word "godly" or "godliness" occurs in the Scriptures. The first instance is Malachi 2:15:

"Has not the one God made you? You belong to him in body and spirit. And what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. So be on your guard, and do not be unfaithful to the wife of your youth."

For some context I read the whole of Malachi. It talks about the faithless who have married women devoted to foreign gods. It talks about returning to God and Him promising to return to the Israelites. Since, godliness requires a full devotion to God, foreign gods cannot be tolerated. It talks about the sacrifices the Israelites were giving to God were not pure (lame, blind, blemished animals).

Through Malachi God poses a few good questions. First, he asks, "If I am a father, where is the honor due me?" (Malachi 1:6). Since God made us, we belong to him in body and spirit. We must be devoted to Him fully because we are His. This is the foundational aspect of godliness, being devoted to Him. If we are devoted to Him as a father, we must therefore honor Him. So in response to God's question I pray, Lord you are my father and help me to do all that is honorable to you. Keep me from temptations that would bring dishonor to you and in the face of temptations help me to be strong to overcome them.

The second question posed in Malachi is actually a response to God's assertion. God states, "Return to me and I will return to you, says the Lord Almighty" (Malachi 3:7). The writer then states, "How are we to return?"

This is the question I am asking. How am I to return? How am I to be godly?

God responds with a question and a declaration. The Israelites have been robbing God by not bringing their whole tithe to Him. "Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house" (Malachi 3:10). So to return to God is to give the whole tithe to God. To return to God is to give Him all that is asked of us. To be godly is to Give to God what He is owed. Since I belong to Him in body and spirit, I offer all of me to Him. Hear my prayer God and accept my offering of myself.

Malachi 3:10 is both instructions and a promise. It's funny how God often links these together. He instructs us to do something and promises a great outcome. Give to God the whole tithe and He will "throw open the floodgates of Heaven and pour out so much blessing that there will not be room enough to store it".

God you are the one God, who created us. You are the Father and I have been robbing you. Accept now my whole tithe. So, what does the one God seek? Godly offspring. As a child of God, I seek to be that. I seek to be a godly offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment