Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Godly Sorrow

Um, duh. Kinda missed the godly word in my reading. It's right there in 2 Corinthians 7:11.

"See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter"

So what is Godly sorrow? It's an awareness of our own sins. The ungodly don't have to worry about their moral shortcomings because it doesn't matter to them. But those who are striving to be godly and live a life that is pleasing to God must constantly assess their lives and root out the sin in them. When we sin we should feel this godly sorrow so that this sorrow can lead to repentance. Since godliness is a foundational attribute that I am seeking out, the natural expression of godliness when I go against the will of God ought to be sorrow, horror and indignation at my mistake. Lord, I ask you to forgive me of my multitude of sins. I am humbly seeking you Lord for answers. Forgive me and help me to walk with you. Help me to cease to do what is evil and learn to do what is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment