Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Sorrow & Repentance

In continuing the search for godliness I cam to both 2 Corinthians chapter 1 and chapter 7 but the word 'godly' wasn't in either one. I was confused in reading Chapter 1, mainly because I was looking for the specific word and missed much of the message, but in Chapter 7 I gleaned a couple of things.

"Even if I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it. Though I did regret it - I see that my letter hurt you, but only for a little while - yet now I am happy, not because you were made sorry, but because your sorrow led you to repentance. For you became sorrowful as God intended and so were not harmed in any way by us. Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death" (2 Corinthians 7:8-10).

The difference between being sorry in the world and sorry in Christ is twofold. Being sorry in the world's terms leaves one feeling regret and on the road to death. But being sorry in Christ brings about repentance and salvation. In my recent struggles with alcohol I could easily be sorry because of the way my drinking has affected things externally. But in taking the approach of tackling it by going for God I do not go down the path of regret, but down the one to repentance and salvation. Hear my prayer God. I repent to you of my sin. I feel sorrow for the pain I've inflicted, especially on my wife. Lead me not into temptation and help me to stay on the straight path to you. Help me find godliness (and another passage that actually has the term in it). Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment