Sunday, September 8, 2019

Kafka and Prague

From Goodreads

Franz Kafka and Prague
Harald Salfellner

As an introductory guide book and a brief biography this book did actually a pretty good job. But, it felt like a museum book more than anything too personal. I am glad to have read it after visiting Prague and not before, as my trip provided a bit of a rudimentary geographic context for me to understand the book a bit better. I found one of the sections containing obituaries written for Kafka to be fascinating. It was from Johannes Urzidil's There Goes Kafka. He noted, 'writing as a form of prayer', that was Kafka's definition of the writer, and: 'even if no redemption comes, I still want to be worthy of it every moment', this was his belief. Overall this was a solid read and I feel I understand Kafka a bit more because of it. Museums, when done well, are supposed to do that. I guess that's probably their entire point.

No comments:

Post a Comment