Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Hungover meditation on the Penitential Psalms

(Originally written June 26, 2012 on a scrap of paper now lost)

Lord, I've done it again. I've sinned against you and against Erin. I've drank again. I've dipped again. I've lied about it again. Forgive me please. Forgive me. I am such a broken man. I can't do this on my own. Break me of these horrible habits. Help me to live in the Truth and in the Light. Teach me in your Word today.

Lamentations

1:20 "See, Oh Lord, how distressed I am! I am in torment within, and in my heart I am disturbed, for I have been most rebellious".

3:22 "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail".

In spite of all the self-inflected wounds Judah has the Lord has not fully consumed them. I praise you God for not fully consuming me.

God's compassions are new every morning. (3:23).

3:31-33 "For men are not cast off by the Lord forever. Though he brings grief, he will show compassion,s o great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men".

3:39 "Why should any living man complain when punished for his sins?"

5:21 "Restore us to yourself, O Lord, that we may return; renew our days of old.

Lord turn you anger from me. Forgive me of my sins I confess to you. Break me of these sins and patterns of sins and please do not destroy me utterly.

Lord as I read the seven penitential psalms take them as my prayer. I bow before you in humility. I prostrate myself before you and beg for your forgiveness.

Psalm 6

6:4 "Turn, O Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love" Hear my prayer.

6:9 "The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer"

I have faith in this verse. I have faith in your mercy and unfailing love.

Psalm 32

32:3 "When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through groaning all day long"

Help me to break my silence. Give me the courage to speak with someone about my problems.

I have confessed Lord, forgive the guilt of my sin as you did for David. Surround me with songs of deliverance.

32:9 "Do not be like the horse or the mule, which have no understanding but must be controlled by bit and bridle or they will not come to you"

Etch these words on my heart oh Lord!

Psalm 38

My bones have no soundness because of my sin. Surely your arrows have pierced me.

38:4 "My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear"

Psalm 38:1-14 really describes what I am feeling. Lord Answer me when I pray 38:21-22.

38:1-22 "O Lord, do not forsake me; be not far from me, O my God. Come quickly to help me, O Lord my savior"

Psalm 51

51:1-2 "Have mercy on me, O God, according to your unfailing love; according to your great compassion blot out my transgressions. Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin.

Teach me truth in my inner parts.

Hear my prayer: 51:8 "Let me hear joy and gladness, let the bones you crushed rejoice".

Create in me a new heart, one that seeks only you. Make me true to you. Give me the strength to cling to you in the face of all opposition. Hear my prayer.

Look on me Lord, I offer you my broken spirit and my contrite heart. Do not despise these Lord, rather grant me mercy.

Psalm 102

102:2 "Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly"

102:17 "He will respond to the prayer of the destitute. He will not despise their plea".

Hope, my God.

Psalm 130

130:4 But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.

I put my hope in your Word, Lord. In you Lord is unfailing love and full redemption.

Psalm 143

143:1 "Oh Lord, hear my prayer, listen to my cry for mercy; in your faithfulness and righteousness come to my relief"

143:7 "Answer me quickly, O Lord. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit".

I put my trust in you.

Lord, I'm going to read Mark now. Teach me in the Word.

Lord, I repent and believe the good news.

Jesus, as you healed Simon's mother-in-law she got up and began to serve you. I feel your spirit comforting me today. Heal me completely so that I may serve you.

Mark 1:40 "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean"

Mark 3:28 "I tell you the truth, all the sins and blasphemies of men will be forgiven them".

Thank you Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment