Tuesday, August 21, 2007

A poorly worded argument against existential repugnancy

(Originally written August 21, 2007 in Book 17)

There are many theories and lifestyles which we scoff at because although they are rationally sound they are existentially repugnant. When one hears of utter skepticism one can easily dismiss it because it is existentially repugnant. No one can truly live a life of perpetual doubt, therefore the theory is worthless.

Too much credit is given to the argument against a theory based on existential repugnancy. My own belief system, that of Christianity is basically existentially repugnant. Christianity demands a purification that I can never live up to. Try as I may, I am human, a fallen creature. I sin, and do so viciously. The difference between a fake being and myself is that I am redeemed. While I cannot live up to the standard set forth for me by Jesus Christ it does not make me any less redeemed. All men are fallen and redeemable, only some are redeemed. Those who are redeemed live a lifestyle that is sometimes existentially repugnant. We cannot throw out any belief structure simply because it is existentially repugnant, lest we throw out our only hope for redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment