Friday, August 3, 2007

Optimism in a rough patch (more rough patches a' comin)

(Originally written August 3, 2007)

Cat, Family & School (money and time)

For the last six years I have floated from place to place; physically, emotionally and spiritually I have made so many mistakes. When I seem to overcome one another haunts me and frustrates my efforts.

My family is Indiana, I am in Virginia. My wife is with me but I scarcely feel her person.

My cat is leaving tomorrow. She goes back to Indiana because my landlady despise her. Sometimes I despise my landlady, more so now than ever. Did I mention my landlady is my mother-in-law?

School is an ever present problem for me. My negligence at seventeen has rendered a college degree an unbelievably difficult task. Now I will not take classes this fall because I lack the deposit money, a measly $250.00

I can look at all these frustrations and say: "If only I had money and time then ____. But this is foolishness.

Had I not flawed for six years maybe I still would be in Indiana with backwards people and living a lie full of trivial nonsense and alcoholic stupor.

Had I not been negligent at seventeen I would have finished college at twenty-one, but I would never had met my wife.

If I had money I could keep my cat and live elsewhere. But I would then deprive my wife of time with her siblings.

There is brightness in ever dark. It may be faint and sometimes I must struggle to see it. But through struggling I make my eyesight acute and train my eyes to see the beauty in the ugliness. That is a wonderful gift that I am wholly convinced is well worth the effort, but time will be spent in achieving this end. Sorrow will be had. Frustrations will come and be overcome. I will hate and love, laugh and cry. It is only my worry that I will hate at the end and cry at the end rather than love and laugh. I have no assurance of the outcome within me, only without and within Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment