Sunday, August 27, 2006

Thoughts on Logic and God

(Originally written August 27, 2006 in Book 6)

Wow! It's been almost two weeks since I've read or wrote in a journal. That's sad. I'm ashamed of myself.

Well, I was dealing with mind on the 15th, but I don't really feel like staying on that topic at all. I am fixated currently on simples, composites and beings.

I have recently thought about the notion of God being a metaphysical simple and I cannot accept this though.

A simple is a single entity that cannot be dissolved or broken down. If God were a simple he would have only one characteristic. If the Bible is true and Yahweh is the true God, then the idea of God as a metaphysical simple is obviously false. God is triune and thus a composite of Father, Son and Holy Ghost. While all three combined are one, each is completely distinct.

Let's first deal with the idea of a triune God. A being that is one and yet three at the same time is a logical impossibility. Logic therefore demands that we deny this being's existence or accept a logical impossibility. But I wish to show that this set of choices is actually a logical error in and of itself.

How is the law of contradiction a fallacy? If the law of contradiction does not present all of the posiblitites then it is guilty of the fallacy of the excluded middle. The options that God does not exist (the Christian triune one) or accepting a logical fallacy is not the whole conclusion.

The Christian God is not physical. Therefore, applying physical laws to him is illogical. laws that pertain to bodies cannot hold bodies beings in their rules. Thus, logical laws, which apply in this world needn't necessarily apply to God.

I can't concentrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment