Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Notes on Augustine of Hippo

(Originally Written May 24, 2006)

Sermons to the People
Augustine of Hippo
2002

Firstly, I love the story of Augustine's conversion. I want so dramatic an experience with God to awaken me. But, his entrapment and inauguration as a priest moved me to tears when I read it in this book for the first time.

Sermo LI: Advent

The Word of God comes through man. Man cannot be mistaken for the Word. We are merely vessels that carry the Word.

Pg. 5 Cyclical life of Man

Man is vile for reveling in vile things.

Woman urged man to sin. Both fell. Women were redeemed through Mary's birthing of Christ. Men were redeemed through Christ being a man. Redeemed = potential salvation.

The Church is the net that catches believers.

"The great evil of the human soul, pride" (Augustine, 12).

No comments:

Post a Comment