Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Possible Structuring of Joseph Flannigan

(Originally Written Feb 12, 2009 in the Journal)

Whenever I see the numerical code 666 in my everyday life I get nervous that I am the anti-Christ. I've never told that to anyone. I wonder if I am alone in this fear or if others share it with me.

This bus is freezing. By bus, I mean gua-gua. I'm heading to Santiago to get some Pollo Victorinos. It's been raining for a week solid. I'm completely depressed.

I'm struggling with spiritual apathy and lust issues. I'm certain the two are connected. I need to overcome one and the other will resolve itself. I should take C.S. Lewis' advice and "focus on heaven and earth will sort of just be thrown in". That's a paraphrasing, but it captures the essence.

This is fairly personal stuff I'm writing, albeit some discombobulated ramblings. There's a guy next to me in a yellow oxford shirt looking into this book reading every word. I'd be intensely offended if we (my book and I) were in America, but I doubt he can read English, let alone my chicken scratch.

Salvation ain't a woman.
You ain't gonna find salvation in her.
You are dead to her (my journal says to me).
Move on.
You ain't gonna find salvation in her.
Salvation ain't a woman.
(A Poem from Collected Thoughts and Scattered Dreams)
- Part of the unfinished book of poems by Joseph Flannigan
Have you ever tried to write in a moving vehicle on an ill-maintained road? It becomes increasingly more and more frustrating. I need to get a recorder.
I have just decided to name each of my writing journals by a woman's name beginning with A and ending with Z. This being the first, shall be called Ashley - in honor of the Ashley I played with as a child, not the Ashley I dated as a sophomore. Not that there is anything wrong with that Ashley, nor do I wish her any malice.
Dear Ashley,
You are my first, so be gentle.
Love,
Christopher
"Oh Ashley, I can read you like a book!"
Enough of the stupid jokes - I feel carsick and claustrophobic.
Alright, so I'm out of the gua-gua. I'm in Santiago at the Pollo Victorino's. Habitaciones con Banos is moving along. Chapters keep spilling out. It's nice and exciting actually. But I don't have much of a direction... Hows about some structuring?
Chapter 1 - Introduction of Joseph
Chapter 2 - Supplies shopping and flight
Chapter 3 - Arriving in Santiago
Chapter 4 - Dream
Chapter 5 - Cabarete
Chapter Z - Writing ridiculous three weeks calling it "Three Weeks of Frivolity - Rediscovering myself in a chaotic holiday to the Caribbean"
I think I've got a good thing going, I'm just unsure of how to get to the end.



No comments:

Post a Comment