Wednesday, January 21, 2015

I Corinthians 13 - Thoughts

I Corinthians 13 is a commonly read passage during weddings. The definition of love as patient, kind, without envy or boasting, being not proud or rude or self-seeking, its ability to withstand anger and its lack of keeping records of wrong and its delight in truth not evil is known by Christians and non-Christians alike who have attended weddings recently. We know that Paul writes that Love protects, trusts, hopes and perseveres and that Love never fails. I mentioned though that there is a verse in here that scares me in a couple of posts ago.

I Corinthians 1:11 "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me."

It scares me because I have ostensibly become a man, but have not put all my childish ways behind me. I still reason and think like a child sometimes. Often when I have done something wrong I respond to it in a childish way: lying, denying, covering it up, etc. It scares me because I have taken on the mantle of manhood (marriage especially) without getting fully over the hump of my childish ways.

I had to look up the verse because I couldn't remember the reference. So after I posted my thoughts in the Augustine post I reread the whole chapter and while I'm still scared of my inadequacies as a man and fear I will once again revert to childish logic in the wake of my mistakes, the verse appears less horrifying in the context and actually somewhat comforting.

I Corinthians 1:9-12 "For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known".

I still have much work to do to put my childish ways behind me, but I can comfortably echo Paul's sentiment. I do know in part now and I can put my hope in that when perfection comes the imperfect will disappear. I see but a poor reflection of God now, but I can put my hope in that I will one day see face to face my God and King. I know bits of God now, but I can put my hope in that I shall know fully. And when perfection comes "these three remain: faith, hope and love".

Putting away the childish things of my past indiscretions is scary. I know myself and fear I will repeat my past mistakes. But I can take comfort that as long as I seek first the Kingdom of God that opportunity will come chasing me from God. I know bits of God now; I will know more bits later until eventually I shall know fully. Seeking first the kingdom of God, Lord help me stay in your Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment