Friday, August 16, 2019

The Virgin Suicides

From Goodreads

I thought this was a very well crafted story with great characters and a clever scaffolding in which the story was built. It left me wanting a little bit more and I think that is somewhat of the allure and what makes the book a good one. At times there was a bit too much polish and had the feel of a bit overwrought shabby chic to it, like cutting perfect holes in expensive jeans and trying to pass it off as gritty originality. Wile the jacket of the book lauding Eugenides as the next great American novelist making his voice known might have been a bit too over pronounced, it is a strong tragedy that is told well. I wouldn't recommend this as a light read, but it isn't so overwhelming to make the sadness mundane. I enjoyed it enough to want to read more of his work.

No comments:

Post a Comment