Wednesday, August 28, 2019

The Last of the Mohicans

From Goodreads

The Last of the Mohicans
James Fenimore Cooper

I really loved Cooper when I was a kid. The Last of the Mohicans is full of stuff young boys are supposed to like. It has adventure, danger, nature, a love story that is there without any kissing and a lot of adjectives. As a grownup with a few more books under my belt I can say that I am glad I read it again and I'm glad I'm finished. The romanticism of nature that is such a part of this book no longer grabs my attention like it did when I was younger. But that's a personal flaw and has nothing to do with the book. The adventure and story are fantastic. The romance in the book is definitely a product of its age, and while I'm not rushing out to grab romance novels with Fabio on the cover, I'm not as against kissing books as I was when I was a kid. The Princess Bride showed Fred and I both that stories can be cool even if there's some girly kissing stuff. Lastly, I could've done with a little less adjective play. I'm an adult now and don't have as much leisure time as I did and The Last of the Mohicans could have been as good and as enjoyable with a few less descriptions. But, it's still worth the time to read if you haven't yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment