Friday, October 13, 2006

Class notes on Hempel & some shade on science

(Originally written October 13, 2006 in Book 8)

Class Notes

1. The Earth orbits the sun
2. Humans evolved from Apes
3. Vitamin C boosts mamalian immune systems
4. All objects are attracted to other objects proportional to their size and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them

Two main points of philosophy of science:
-The nature of scientific inference
-What is the scientific theory

Hempel (a fantastic logical positivist)

Hypothesis Testing

1. If H, then I(1), I(2), I(3), ... I(N)
2. I(1), I(2), I(3)
3. Therefore, H

This is invalid: fallacy of affirming the consequent

1. If H, then I1), I(2), I(3), ... I(N)
2. I(1), I(2), I(3)
3. Therefore, H is confirmed

Valid

1. If H, then I1), I(2), I(3), ... I(N)
2. Not I(1), Not I(2), Not I(3)
3. Therefore, H is falsified.

Hempel: through science we can falsify propositions/theories with confidence, but we cannot confidently prove any theory.

-Deductive nomological model of scientific explanation ("covering law" approach)

Expandum- that which is to be explained
Explanans- that which explains

The logical symmetry between scientific explanation and prediction

Linehan - I feel the major flaws of science lie here:
1) The belief that science is factual and ultimate. It is really theoretical and based on probability.
2) The belief that science creates knowledge. Science is merely an observational tool. Any knowledge supplied by science is from discover, not from creation. And since, science is discovery at any point another piece of the puzzle can be discovered and destroy all the "big picture" ideas that science holds dear and near to its closed-minded heart.

Hempel - hypotheses/theories are creatively devised.

No comments:

Post a Comment