Sunday, January 6, 2019

Thank God for Brevity

From the Goodreads

Woman Much Missed
Thomas Hardy

Poetry is neither my strong suit nor favorite. When I read poetry I often feel like a young boy in his father's suit, unable to fill it up. It just seems to swallow me and I only get a hint of what's going on. It was the same with this. I only got a hint, but even as dense as I am and as unlearned in poetry, the sadness and loss in this collection was palpable. Nothing in it particularly stood out in it other than the melancholy nature of the book. It might be the epitome of the sum being greater than the parts. No particular poem, not even a single line just grabbed me and stood out, but by the end I felt Hardy's pain. He transferred his sorrow onto me. I guess that's the point; but, I'm glad this was a short book. Otherwise, I would have ugly cried.

No comments:

Post a Comment