Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Monday or Tuesday

From Goodreads

Monday or Tuesday: Eight Stories

I'm still not a huge fan of modernist literature; but, I prefer Woolf to Joyce immensely. Now, I've only hitherto read a very short collection of stories by her, so I may find her longer works as equally uninspiring as Ulysses or Portrait. But Woolf makes the mundane minutia less boring than Joyce.

Of the eight stories I found, "A Society" and, "The Mark on the Wall" the most compelling. Her darker humor in lambasting a chauvinist culture in "A Society" is reminiscent of A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift (without the messiness of cannibalism). The interesting epistemic notions in "The Mark on the Wall" are intriguing and the comic irony in the ending is good. Honestly, that might be my favorite stream of consciousness work that I've read so fa.

No comments:

Post a Comment