Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Beowulf

From Goodreads

Beowulf
Translated by Seamus Heaney

Beowulf has a special place in my heart. This translation was a whole lot easier once I realized I was reading the original version. For the first few pages I was like, this isn't even in English!

Jokes aside, this is a great translation. Seamus Heaney does a great job of making a classic text accessible to modern readers. I have enjoyed Beowulf since the first time I read it, probably for school. It sparked my interest in history and myth. That is the reason it holds a special place in my heart. Compared to other epic works though, Beowulf is not my favorite. It lacks some of the panache of Homer, doesn't flow like Ovid or Virgil and isn't as interesting as some of the Viking Sagas. That said, it gets four stars because it is still phenomenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment