Sunday, March 3, 2019

You are my dukedom, my beer and my pot roast

From Goodreads

Prague in Black and Gold: Scenes from the Life of a European City
Peter Demetz

This is a solid history that really showcased to me my ignorance of Bohemian and Central European History. I knew a little before I read it; and, yet I thought I knew much more. While some of Demetz's references and allusions went right over my head he did an excellent job of painting broad strokes of the history of Prague and whetted my appetite for more. Usually I am drawn more to ancient history and the chapters leading up to the Hussite revolution were probably my favorite, but I found myself very interested in the Hapsburg era as well.

The writing is generally good, in a textbook sort of way. Some of the demystifying of Prague left me a little hostile, as I'm eagerly anticipating my Prague trip in just over a month, but there are copious amounts of magical histories of Prague, I guess one like this is necessary.

In his section on Mozart in Prague, he tells an anecdote about the first play performed in the Czech language. (Without spoiling the history of Bohemia, a history of language plays a pivotal role in the history of the city and the national identity.) The play, called Kníže Honzík is a play with a love triangle of sorts and deals with an ambitious dreamer. In the end though the dreamer is happy with his fiancee, declaring to her, "You are my dukedom, my beer and my pot roast". I guffawed when I read that line and am inscribing it in my memory banks with the hope that I will find occasion to steal it to declare my love for Erin some time.

What is great about this book is that it has informed me enough to want more. Being just the second history book of Prague I've read I find myself more and more fascinated with this city's history. Like any good teacher Peter Demetz has left enough questions unanswered to demand I learn more.


No comments:

Post a Comment