Saturday, June 11, 2016

Assessment of Fury

Fury was the first Salman Rushdie book I had ever read. I finished the book when I was out and on the way home I stopped by the used book store and picked up The Enchantress of Florence. I loved the book. The story was good and that is usually what draws me into a book (crazy huh?) but the language and word usage was what really took me in this time. Normally this happens when I read someone like Vonnegut because of his colloquial, conversational prose or when I encounter a writer that is either a surrealist or influenced by them because of the odd usage of words and juxtaposition. But, in the case of Rushdie I just found myself mesmerized by his mastery of English and the beauty of his sentences.

After reading the book I looked at the reviews of it on Goodreads and found a lot of negative reviews. I was surprised by this. But, as this was my first encounter of Rushdie, I found a lot of the negative reviews praised his other works and found this one to be lacking. Without that context however I couldn't form a meaningful opinion. The reviews that dismissed the book as being simply trash or garbage however, I took with a grain of salt. Obviously, I enjoyed the book enough to seek out another of his novels immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment