Thursday, February 11, 2016

365 Day Bible Catch Up Psalms 6 - 10

Psalm 6

Lord teach me to pray this fervently. I don't know if I have ever prayed so hard as David did in this moment. I know I have been worn out from groaning in certain situations and I have lifted prayers to you in my times of need, but have I really ever prayed so deeply as this? I should because you hear.

6:9 "The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer.

Psalm 7

Psalm 7 warns us of what happens when you do evil.

7:14 - "He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble gives birth to disillusionment"
7:16 - "The trouble he causes recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head"

Evil never prospers. It always bites us in the end. 7:14 is especially poignant and telling. Conceiving of schemes that are troublesome gives birth to an experience when you discover that what you were thinking of ends up not nearly being as good as you initially thought. How true is that? Lord, clear the evil from me so that I am not in the birth pangs of disillusionment.

Psalm 8

8:2 "From the lips of children and infants you have ordained praise because of your enemies, to silence the foe and the avenger". When you see a child praising God it reminds you of what life should be like. Children speak frankly (when brought up right) about God and their faith is the faith that Jesus praises. It silences the enemies of God. God could thunderbolt and rage and accomplish this silence, yet it is through the voice of children that he chooses to silence his foes. How humbling.

Psalm 9

The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed and a stronghold in times of trouble? (v8) Why? Because those who know your name will trust in you because you have never forsaken those who seek you. (v9) On the flip side, those that don't know your name won't trust you because they haven't seen your steadfastness.

9:15 echoes 7:14 & 7:16. "The nations have fallen into the pit they have dug; their feet are caught in the net they have hidden". The trouble has recoiled.

While the wicked are ensnared and perishing and having their memory wiped from the earth, the needy will not be forgotten (9:18).

Psalm 10

Psalm 10:4 is a perfect explanation of why pride is so harmful to man. "In his pride the wicked does not seek him; in all his thoughts there is no room for God". Lord, let me not be this proud man. Let me always make room for you.

Psalm 10 has one of those 'difficult verses' 10:15 "Break the arm of the wicked and evil man; call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out". How do we reconcile a loving God with one that would break the arm of a man? Well, that's for another time to discuss. While typing this I realized just how scary this verse is. "Call him to account for his wickedness that would not be found out". How much iniquity is done in secret that no man could ever know? But, God knows. Lord, forgive me of the sins I have done in secret. Hear my prayer and forgive me.

No comments:

Post a Comment