Friday, February 12, 2016

365 Day Bible Catch Up Psalm 11 - 16

Psalm 11

11:7 "For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face".

The reward for being upright is to see the face of God.

Psalm 12

A couple things stand out in this chapter.

12:5 "Because of the oppression of the weak and the groaning of the needy I will now arise, says the Lord. I will protect them from those who malign them".
12:7 "O Lord, you will keep us safe and protect us from such people forever".

-God is roused to protect the needy and oppressed.

12:6 "And the words of the Lord are flawless, like silver refined in a furnace of clay, purified seven times".

- The words of the Lord (the Bible in our case) is flawless. Refined and purified.

12:8 "The wicked freely strut about when what is vile is honored among men".

How truly does this reflect today's culture?

Psalm 13

A reminder that even when things seem to be going wrong we should trust in the Lord and praise him.

13:2 "How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me?

13:5-6 " But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the Lord, for he has been good to me".

Psalm 14

14:1 "The fool says in his heart, there is no God. They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good".

"The Hebrew words rendered 'fool' in Psalms denote one who is morally deficient."

This little footnote really changes the way I look at this verse. I've seen (especially in comment sections on internet articles), Christians throwing around the term 'fool' like those who believe in God are stupid and then being made to look stupid by those who don't believe in God. But, if fool denotes a morally deficient person, the meaning of this verse makes much more sense.

- God is present in the company of the righteous. (Psalm 14:5). That's comforting and interesting to those looking to be righteous. When your are upright, you are righteous because God is in your presence.

Psalm 15

Be blameless. Do what is righteous. Speak truth from your heart. Don't slander. Honor those who fear the Lord. These are what it takes to live on God's holy hill.

Psalm 16

Teach me to always remember "You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing" (16:2).

Sorrow will increase in those who run after other gods (16:4).


No comments:

Post a Comment