Thursday, July 6, 2006

Chapter 10 - Protagoras

(Originally written July 6, 2006 in Book 2)

A skeptic & the chief sophist.

Sophists were men who taught young men things that were of practical use. They taught men how to be their own lawyers in court (which if one was in court, one had to do).

Born about 500 BC in Abdera (Thrace)

He made a code of laws for the city of Thurii.

Believed that "man is the measure of all things" which is interpreted as "each man is the measure of all things, and that, when men differ, there is no objective truth in virtue of which one is right and the other wrong" (Russell, 77).

Believed one opinion can be better than another, but not truer.

Sophists did not connect philosophy or whatever they taught with virtue and religion.

They taught how to argue any position, like modern lawyers.

The disconnection of virtue from teaching appalled the religion oriented (Orphic) philosophers. THey felt arguing any point simply to be victorious in court was immoral.

The sophists followed this maxim: "The pursuit of truth, when it is whole-hearted, must ignore moral considerations, we cannot know in advance that the truth will turnout to be what is thought edifying in a given society" (Russell, 78).

As part I of Book I comes to a close I see this as a nice ending point of my notebook. Thus ends, Book II: Bertrand Russell.

Bertrand Russell is a philosopher whom I have a love-hate relationship with. I love him because he was the catalyst to my philosophical interest. I hate him because of his anti-Christian rhetoric. He reads easy to me, mainly because of the debt I owe him; partly because his style was the first I encountered. Protagoras said that "man is the measure of all things" but fore me it is Bertrand Russell who is the measure of all things (at least all things philosophical by nature or sentiment).

In part my philosophical writings and theories are a reaction to him. It was he who awakened me from my dogmatic slumber. It is his ghost I chase and run from, his words that inspire and stir me.

It is funny or ironic or justice or anything you wish to call it, save for coincidental (of which there can be no such thing) that Bertrand Russell was used to stir me. His lack of faith has strengthened mine. At the very least he was the cause of my philosophical beginnings and my complete reassessment and rejuvenation of learning.

Thank you Mr. Russell for your words. Although they are tragically and sadly, fatally flawed they have inspired me. While credit is due you, it also due to a greater cause as well. This is the first cause: God. Unbeknownst to you, Mr. Russell, and in spite of yourself, you were an instrument of God. God used you to work in me. It's funny, He truly works in mysterious ways.

I aspire to be great someday. Vanity? Yes, it is true. But, I can honestly say that vanity is but a tiny portion of what I aspire. I truly strive to increase the numbers of my brothers and sisters in Christ. God's glory is everlasting, may there be even one encouraged by my writing then God be praised.

His everlasting glory surrounds His children in awe-inspiring fashion. If I am fortunate to pen or speak one ounce of truth then God deserves the thanks. I am no great, man, I am barely a man. I am an infant, weak and helpless. I strive to be such.

The moment I consider myself more than a babe I doom myself to fall. Pride is my downfall; humility my shield. Both pride and humility are God's, but I, a mere man am ill-equipped to handle the strength of pride. It would corrupt me wholly and severely. Therefore, I will keep humility in all I do to guard against myself.

Pride does not make man great, it makes him weak. Pride demands too much. It clouds one's vision. If I be proud, I be content. If I be content, I no longer hunger. Without hunger I am not driven, no drive, no progress. Pride creates a stagnant stench. Humility keeps one clean. Wash me oh Lord of my vain pride. Wipe the stench from me. I ask for humility which leads to a hunger, hunger to knowledge, knowledge to truth and truth to God.

I wish and pray that all come to find God. I mourn all those who do not find him. I mourn the loss of a brother or sister. Death causes unbearable pain for a moment. But death without God is unbearable eternity.

No man may truly know another's heart. No man is fit to judge what they cannot see. Not now nor ever could I judge your heart Mr. Russell. It seems thought that pride took you and you chose not to accept God. If you are gone, I mourn you. We could have been brothers.

A mind so sharp as yours could have been greater if only you had a heart for God. I may never have so sharp a mind, but my heart is pure. May my mind catch my heart someday and my heart be purer still. Wash the pride from me God, so I can serve you and my fellow man. This is my prayer. Amen.

Book II
Bertrand Russell

August 05? or September 05 - July 7, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment