Monday, October 5, 2009

Notes on The Nibelungelied

(Originally Written October 5, 2009 in the Journal)

Notes on The Nibelungelied

Here we go again, smooth classic literature to Medieval folklore. I hope it is not as rough a transition from Aeneid to the Mabinogion.

The Nibelungenlied is an ancient German tale. Maybe I'll read Faust next to stay German...

I think I may be finding the most enjoyment in epic poetry

"If you are ever to know heartfelt happiness it can only come from a man's love. If God should assign to you a truly worthy knight you will grow to be a beautiful woman"

The Nibelungenlied was interesting. I enjoyed Siegrfried's character immensely but I wasn't a big fan of Hagen and the Fiddler. The plot was interesting, but slow at times. The ending was a bit unsatisfying. The fight between Dietrich and Gunther and Hagen was good, but Krienhild being chopped apart by Hildebrand I didn't like. I felt Brunhild was more to blame and she really didn't get much in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment