Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Prague: Capital of the Twentieth Century: A Surrealist History

From Goodreads

Prague, Capital of the Twentieth Century: A Surrealist History
Derek Sayer

Like with all surrealist literature, a surrealist history of a surrealist movement makes for a semi-lopsided and disjointed reading experience. I enjoyed this book and it had the same effect on me that most surrealist literature has had. It frustrates me and pushes my boundaries leaving me intrigued, eager for more and ready for a break, simultaneously. The book is a good history, but as with much of my attempt to learn Czech history I have found myself without a firm foundation to many of the things alluded to in this book. That said, the author does give a lot of information in a digestible way that verges on the gluttonous. I probably didn't read this fast enough to retain the whole of it and will need to reread it to fully appreciate it, but I feel like I have a better understanding of Prague having finished the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment