Friday, May 24, 2019

The Mabinogion

From Goodreads

The Mabinogion
Translated by Jefferey Gantz

The last time I read this it was directly after I had gone through a Roman Literature spree and wasn't as impressed as I felt I should have been. It just didn't flow as well as Ovid or Virgil to me. While the language still doesn't dance on my palette the way Metamorphosis does, I do enjoy this classic even more now.

The mythology is just unique enough to be something different than most things out there. It's a must read for anyone interested in Medieval stuff (on a bit of a kick right now for me). It's worthwhile for anyone who enjoys a good story, even if you're not on the aforementioned Dark Ages binge. I prefer Beowulf or the Viking Sagas, but I'm glad this has survived such a long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment