Tuesday, February 5, 2019

The Transformation and Other Stories - Kafka

From Goodreads

I thought I had read Metamorphosis before, but if I had it made no lasting impression on me. The same cannot be said this time round. Metamorphosis is, above everything else, very sad. It has a bleakness that is palpable. While this may be the best and most well known story in this anthology there are other very good ones as well.

In particular I enjoyed The Stoker, The Judgment and A Report to the Academy. In The Penal Colony and A country Doctor were interesting as well. The latter two had some great bizarre moments. This anthology ended with Josephine, the Songstress. It somehow combines a weariness with strength in the face of futile existence. I don't know if it was intended as a surveying of the political atmosphere of his time, but it could be read as such by today's readers, who have resigned themselves to ineffectual governance.

No comments:

Post a Comment