Wednesday, February 14, 2018

I'm just not that into James Joyce

(Originally written February 14, 2018)

My Goodreads review:

I'm just not that into James Joyce. There is a ton of brilliant stuff in the book and the variety of genres within the book is interesting. But, like with my review of A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, I found I was often bored in reading it. There's some pretty funny stuff in it like the scene that mirrors Odysseus escaping from the Cyclops. However, it's mostly just the thought processes of the main characters with not much going on. For me, reading James Joyce is like watching figure skating. I can appreciate the beauty and technical skill that goes into it, but while it's impressive I'm probably going to change the channel relatively quickly because I'm just not that into it...

No comments:

Post a Comment