Sunday, July 2, 2017

Closer to God or Closer to Hell?

Screwtape notes that whether "love, or patriotism, or celibacy, or candles on altars, or teetotalism, or education, are 'good' or 'bad'. Can't you see there's no answer? Nothing matters at all except the tendency of a given state of mind, in given circumstances, to move a particular patient at a particular moment nearer to the Enemy or nearer to us" (Lewis, 106).

It is both very chilling and very calming to realize that nothing in and of itself that I can do is essentially the wrong thing (aside from the obvious sins that I commit). It is chilling because in my moments of strength of mind when I focus hard and actually do some studying of intellectual things that I can be erring if those things are leading me in the opposite direction of God. It is also very calming to thing that if I am in a good state, and in moderation doing something as relaxing and banal  as cooking a dinner, or playing FIFA that if I am not moving towards Hell I am ebbing closer to God. It's a double-edged sword. I believe that God allows us relaxation and the chance to do the things we enjoy (for me studying philosophy or creating in the kitchen). But, and I speak fully for myself, if I attend those things at the expense of attending towards God then those things that He has given to me as a way of relaxation or of feeling good doing I am putting a distance between He and I. He is immovable and thus, I am the one backing away. It is important for me to remember that it is God who has given me my interests, hobbies and relaxation moments. At this moment I want to remember that and thank Him for His generosity and to ask Him to remind me or nudge me if I am doing them at such a fervor to neglect the giver for the sake of the gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment