Wednesday, January 4, 2017

The One Eyed Porter - Book Report

A while ago I finished a short story collection by Voltaire. Given that I'd like to study Voltaire more closely I set about writing "Book Reports" on each story. I did a grand total of one. But, it is a new year and everything is made anew and so I'm setting out to make my book report goal anew. This time the book report is on The One Eyed Porter. This is a great little story; full of the wit and absurdity that makes me really enjoy Voltaire.

The story opens up, "Having two eyes does not improve our lot; the one serves to show us the good things in life, the other its evil" (Voltaire, 5). It finishes with the assessment of Mesrour, after attaining many great things and then losing them - "but then Mesrour lacked the eye which looks on the bad side of things" (Voltaire, 10).

Some of the highlights of this little story:
-"One would have had to be blind not to see that Mesrour was one-eyed" (Voltaire, 5).
-"Mélinade (the name of the lady, which I had my reasons for withholding, not having thought of it until now)..." (Voltaire, 7).

Voltaire seems to poke fun at the 'high society' or the 'morals' of the day in this little tale. Mesrour lacks an eye (he lacks the ability to see the dark side of things). He is simple and, as such, unencumbered by the trappings of a higher life. The princess he falls in love with sees an inscription at a gate as a warning to go away. But, Mesrour only sees the figures as 'Knock without Fear'. Mesrour (though having two eyes at the time) has only been able to see from one eye and is thus saved by his simple understanding of the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment