Saturday, November 12, 2016

Micromegas & Other Short Fictions Assessment

I finished Micromégas and Other Short Fictions by Voltaire about five days ago. Generally my assessments on this blog about books I have finished have been mercifully brief. But, my obsession with Voltaire demands something a bit more.

I rated this book (a Penguin) with three stars. I noted on my review that "Some people on this app labeled Candide as dated and thus, out of touch with the current character of this age. I wholeheartedly disagreed and argued the timeless nature of the work. Had they argued that some of the fictions in this book were the case I would have still argued agains them, but not as wholeheartedly. As an anthology this book is great. Voltaire is incredibly easy to read, profound and cuts to the bone. But because it is an anthology there are better and worse stories in it. Some of the stories demand you read the footnotes, while others can be simply enjoyed free of historical context.

Pot-Poori and the Account of the illness, confession, death and apparition of the Jesuit Breathier necessitate a glance back at the footnotes. Without reading the footnotes Pot-Pouri reads a bit like surrealist fiction (I'm not entirely convince it isn't). Micromégas and The History of the Travels of Scarmentado can just stand alone as humorous satire without demanding one know exactly what is being satirized. If you like Candide, you'll enjoy this. If you love Candide (as I do), you'll really enjoy this. If you don't like Candide, you're wrong."

This would be about the end of most of my assessments. Then I would write a few quotes that I found interesting or highlight some passages that I think would be useful later in my studies. But, since I want to really get to know Voltaire, I'm going to a story-by-story assessment. So, I'll be posting over and over on this book. But, it won't be a back-to-back-to-back sort of endeavor. I'll be doing it to break up the dry copying of my notes on Chalmer's What is this thing called science? Based on my handwriting and notes from 2006 I enjoyed the work. But, at the moment I'm not reliving my excitement...

No comments:

Post a Comment