Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Unfinished thoughts on Philosophy of Language

(Originally written April 25, 2006 in Book 1)

Types of Language:

Audible - voice/music (symbolic language)
Written - letters/pictures/art (symbolic language)
Visible - body language (actual language)
Internal - in your head (symbolic language)
Connective - emotional bonds (actual language)

Origin of Langauge:

Up until last night I believed that the origin of language was simply ascertained. Unfortunately for me, as always, whenever I believe something to be simple or easily comprehended, new questions arise. The questions demand answers and refuse to be begged in my pursuit of knowledge.

Until last night I felt strongly that the origin of language lay in man's hands. While it may have been an indirect result of man, I still believed it to be a construct of man, or at least for man. But that seems to be impossible upon investigation. If language came into being with man how then did God communicate with himself? How did God create everything without the use of language? Yes, God works in mysterious ways; and, yes, God is capable of doing things in ways man is not capable of. So, if you refuse to grant me this contention then please consider the next two arguments. I believe that you will come to the conclusion that I have if you are honest with the facts.

First, animals utilize language. This may seem absurd, but consider what language is. Language is the utilization of something to communicate a concept, idea, message, etc. to another being (or to one's self). Therefore, since animals obviously communicate with one another they utilize language in its most primitive form.

A dog will urinate on trees, or other objects to mark his territory. He is communicating to other dogs that this is his territory. He communicates this message by the language of urine. Luckily, we have other forms of language because I would not want you to read my pee.

Certain forms of spiders have interesting mating rituals. The male spider performs a dance for the female...

No comments:

Post a Comment