Monday, March 1, 2010

Notes on The Metamorphoses

(Originally Written March 1, 2010 in the Journal)

Notes on Ovid's Metamorphoses

I'm already in Book VI!

"She was as beautiful as an angry woman can be" Very funny, use this in Habitaciones after the double date from Hell.

Love made him eloquent

The sky was dark and heavy, its weight pressing down on the earth, man both noble and common alike. It trapped the heat in and southerly winds blew cruel and ill-fortuned winds on them. For two moons the heat oppressed the land of Upuk and withered crops to dust. The sturdy beasts melted away and sheep shore their own wool, their dying bleats echoed through the hills. The four rivers dried and the center pool threatened an emptiness until the worship of the sun creased. The might king cast out the priests of the sun and restored the land to its former gods. (A plague scene and banishment of the sun cult).

"For I am burning with love, and its flame scorches me more fiercely when I am spurned"

Not struggles, but sheer laziness came to be what delayed my finishing of the Metamorphoses.

I really enjoyed this book until book fifteen that became pure propaganda for Augustus. It is amazing that art can become kitschy so quickly. But, book XV aside, it was great. The last line again, like from The Amores shows Ovid's ego - which I love.

"If there be any truth in poets' prophecies I shall live to all eternity, immortalized by fame"

No comments:

Post a Comment