Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Brief Notes on Leviticus 1 - 13

(Originally Written April 23, 2008 in the Journal)

Lord, I feel drained and lonely. I have no joy, no hope and am struggling to maintain faith. Why would you join me to a woman who would do nothing but rip me apart? Are you not the all-good God? Are you not the merciful one?

Why do you allow me to suffer so? You know my struggles Lord. This prayer does not fall on deaf ears. You are the living God, the God of Abraham, of Isaac, of Jacob and of Moses. Am I not part of the Chosen now? Have I not been redeemed by the blood of Christ? Why then do I still suffer? Why are my cries not answered? How many tears must I shed? How much hurt must I feel?

But, you are the all-good God. You are my shepherd. You are my solace. In you alone I trust. You alone do I bow to worship. You alone I praise. I praise you in the good and the bad. I thank you for my struggle and my trials. I relish these as chances to grow closer to you. Lord take this pain away. Restore my marriage. Restore her to me and to you. But if I must suffer this I will do so gladly. Give me a little comfort and a little strength to make it through today. Hear my prayers.

Exodus 39

The book of exodus sets out the rules and regulations for the Israelites to remain ritually pure. God set these up to make the Israelites holy, to set them apart from all humanity. The holiness of the Israelites is a witness to the Glory and Holiness of God.

Leviticus

Chapter 1 - Holocaust offering instructions
Chapter 2 - Cereal offering instructions
Chapter 3 - Peace offering instructions
Chapter 4 - Sin offering instructions for the priests, the community, the princes and private persons

It is interesting that sin offerings are made for those who inadvertently sin.

Chapter 5 - Sin or unclean offerings are made for those who cannot afford animals.

In order to be forgiven, one must first confess.
Even if one sins inadvertently he is guilty and must make a sacrifice

Chapter 6 - Daily offerings explained

Holiness is an all encompassing, overarching commitment. The fire must be kept burning on the altar.

Chapter 7 - Guilt and sin offerings are similar

The priest who makes the sacrifice may keep the hide for himself and eat it in a sacred place.
The Israelites cannot eat any fat or blood. The blood and fat are sacrifices to the Lord.

Chapter 8 - Aaron and his sons are anointed.

"This is what the Lord orders you to do that the glory of the Lord may be revealed to you" (Leviticus 9:6, New American Bible).

Lord, what must I sacrifice to have your glory revealed to me? No question will be refused. No request is too great. Life and limb I offer you. Even her, whom I love more deeply than anything else in this world, I offer you to see your glory.

Chapter 10 - Aaron's son Nadab and Abihu are killed by the Lord for offering an unsacred offering.

Priests are responsible for themselves, but also for the people. They must be able to distinguish between clean and unclean, between sacred and profane. They must teach the people the Laws of the Lord. The priests eat the portion of the offering allotted to them to bear the guilt of the people and make atonement.

Chapter 11 - Clean and unclean foods

The people must be holy because the Lord is holy.

Chapter 12 - The uncleanness of child birth

Chapter 13 - The uncleanness of leprosy

No comments:

Post a Comment